I think we can easily say that 2010 is a year that will go down in history as the year that Mommy and Daddy will not stop talking about. We have discussed the hurricane and the robbery… your Dad also got into a car accident with deer three weeks after we bought a new car (he was totally fine, miracle)… then the day after Christmas came. Until December 27th we were just referring to it as “fake Christmas” because Uncle M and Aunt M were at Aunt M’s family for their first Christmas as a married couple so on their way back on the 26th they were coming to our house to meet up with rest of the G clan to exchange Christmas presents.
It started off like any other get together, snacks and TONS of gifts. We had a fire in the fireplace and the snow was just starting to fall for what would become “smow-ma-geddon.” We were having a great time but the snow was getting more intense Grandma and Grandpa left and Uncle D boarded a train to NYC to go on a date. Uncle M and Aunt M stayed to hang out wait out the storm by enjoying a movie with Daddy and I.
We were no more than a few minutes into the movie when we smell smoke. I go into the dining room and I see smoke coming from the chair rail. I move the china cabinet a few inches and see the wall glowing red. I call 911, your Dad puts the fire out in the fireplace, Aunt M gets the fire extinguishers (all of which had pretty much nothing left so she ran next door and got theirs) and Uncle M sprayed the fire extinguisher. I got you up out of bed and brought you next door. I put Harpua in the car (I did not know what else do).
The fire department got there fast and started hacking away at our wall with an ax. The fire hoses went to every floor and I was panicked that not only the house would burn down but that there would be water everywhere and ruin what was not burned.
I have to say that it not what you expect…. while the fire men are going in and out of the house we were able to go in and out too. I grabbed the computer, our hard drive and my cameras… the fire was small and controlled immediately. The snow was falling hard and the fire hydrant was frozen so they could not turn the hoses on.
As with all things that happened in 2010, it could have been alot worse. Every person who came into the house for various work or investigation after the fire told us we were lucky we had not gone to sleep because we would have died. As for all our “bad luck” it was so much better than it could have been.
All that said I am very happy to see 2010 end and I looking forward to all the exciting new things that 2011 can have in store of us!!
Lessons to learn:
- Make sure you have fire extinguishers that work
- Check you smoke detectors (we did to, fires in the wall do not trigger smoke detectors as fast but still a good lesson)
- Be thankful that even the terrible things that happen could have been alot worse.
- Be thankful for your neighbors, they are helpful
- Thank your Aunt for letting us live with her for the last 49 days (and counting)!